How to Make a Stunning Mossed Autumn Wreath in 6 Easy Steps
Updated: Feb 6
We all love to decorate our homes with Christmas wreaths - but why wait until Christmas? With so many gorgeous colours and textures available at this time of year it's a shame not to make the most of what this wonderful season has to offer.
Making your own wreath is easy and fun - just gather together a few essentials and then get creative! Follow our step-by-step guide and you'll have a stunning Autumn wreath in no time.
Sphagnum Moss (available from garden centres)
Mossing pins (a.k.a German pins)
Decorative pieces - acorns, mini pumpkins, feathers, ribbons - the choice is yours!!
1. Attach the reel wire to your frame and wrap around the whole frame once to provide a support for the moss. Keep the reel of wire attached to the frame
2. Make sure your moss is moist and then gently pull it apart to remove any twigs (or bugs!). Pack a handful of moss tightly onto the frame in a sausage shape and wire the moss to the frame. Continue doing this until the whole frame is covered, ensuring the moss is nice and firm and then go over once again with the wire, anchoring the ends into the moss. Trim any loose ends so the moss ring is nice and neat
3. Using the mossing pins, attach the wreath wrap to the base of the frame, to protect any surfaces
4. Now the fun begins! Assemble your foliage into bundles and twist the stub wire around the stems into a double leg mount (Apologies - I forgot to take a photo of how to do this - basically place the wire behind the stems, wrap around, so that you end up with 2 'legs' of wire of equal length). If you prefer, you can bind your greenery to your moss ring using your reel wire, just remember to back your wreath with wrap AFTER this step, not before
5. Attach your foliage bundles firmly into the wreath, alternating side - top - side as you go
6. When you have completely covered your ring in greenery add your decorative pieces (toothpicks are handy for attaching apples, pumpkins etc into the frame), add a hook, hang on your door, stand back and ENJOY!